Wednesday, March 28, 2012

{Re*Made} BONUS

Pinterest is an amazing inspiration source.  As a designer, it's great to have a site to see and "collect" things that awe and inspire.  Not too long ago I saw this photo on Pinterest:

Seen here
and I've also pinned this one:

Seen here
Both are crazy creative examples of using an object for something other than its intended use.  My point of all this?

My last project--the little brown dresser reborn--made use of everything about the dresser except the drawers.  I knew I wouldn't use them when I initially dreamed the redesign, but I wanted to give them some sort of purpose because this dresser was made of wood.  Not the particle board stuff you find nowadays.  So it was going to hurt to have to just throw them away.

Enter Pinterest inspiration.  I knew what I had to do.  :)

So, here are the drawers (as a reminder, if you didn't catch my previous post).



They were pretty easy to pull apart.  I simply hammered out the sides.


I cut down the side panels and bottom to the depth I wanted my shelves to be, then reassembled them basically the same way they originally were.  Easy peasy.


Once I had the box back together, I used a piece of the bottom I cut off to form the top of the shelf.


And, you know me, I pulled out my trusty spray paint gun and gave them a new shiny brown coat.


I bought new knobs for my "drawers" because they had to look like drawers.  And I thought it would be fun to do different knobs and have them be little pieces of art.


After the knobs were installed, we were ready to hang!  Woo hoo!


Ok, so this is my living room wall before.  Pretty sad!!


And this is my wall after!!  I love it so much!  Exactly how I had them envisioned.


And I admit, my styling needs a little love because I'm not much of a knick-knacker.  But I love how my glass insulator collection has a new funky display.  :)

**See the update on my shelves styling here!!**




So that's my little bonus project stemmed from one of my resolution projects!    Whadya think?!



Be sure to watch for next month's project and a new entry for {My Old House}.

Ta ta for now...










Linking up here:  Get Your DIY On

1 comment:

  1. So creative! I never would have thought to use drawers that way! It looks great!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete

So what did you think? I'd love to know!

Related Posts with Thumbnails