Thursday, October 18, 2012

For the Love of Junk {Warrenton Fall 2012}

Spring and Fall are definitely the better seasons in  South Texas, in my opinion.  If it's a good year, we are still getting enough rain to keep the grass green.  The breeze is blowing enough of a cool wind that even on hot days, which are generally high 80's, low 90's, it's not that hot.  In Spring, we can emerge outside, enjoy the sunshine after a drab Winter.  In the Fall, we can again enjoy being outside after a brutally hot Summer.

Spring and Fall in Texas also means Texas Antique Week, when the thousands flock to two of the tiniest towns in Texas located in one of the more beautiful parts *IMO*--Round Top & Warrenton.  I have actually only been a handful of times but each year I go, it leaves me wanting more.  After a few years reprieve, we were finally able to make it to the last weekend.  Which I think is the best time to go because the vendors are making great deals so they don't have to pack up what's left over. 

We stuck to Warrenton this year, and I had really one main goal in mind:  find new dining chairs.  And anything else that may tickle my fancy. :)

Our day started early, and with that I made the executive decision to stop at one of the best Czech bakeries around.  Cream cheese kolaches and sausage rolls with awesome sausage was the breakfast of choice, and O. M. G.  My new goal:  learn how to make kolaches the Czech way because these were AMAZING!


I highly recommend a stop to the Kountry Bakery if you are ever in the area.

So anyhoo, awesome breakfast to get us started, which was a must since we were going to be walking lots and lots that day.  There are literally miles and miles of stuff to see.  And you cannot see it all in a day, but I did see a few things I thought would be fun to share with you.
We had to walk by this guy going in and let me tell you, the smells from this little bug were amazing!  I love the way coffee smells.  And how cute is he, too?!


A "trend" I noticed this year were these extra large 3-D metal letters.  We debated getting one for our house because they are pretty cool.  But one vendor had taken them and made lamps.  Now those were cool.
I thought this shot was neat, too, because you can see the variety of things you'll see in just one booth.
I love the hats!  Lots of vintage and retro clothes & accessories.
That same booth had these cool vintage lights.  I love the globes!
There is a lot of art and not just antique art.  People bring in their own works, and displays.  This one was too quirky not to share.  Kinda perfect for Halloween I guess.  :)
I guess I was into lights this year, ha ha!  But these were my favorite, by far.  This guy took random, everyday vintage items and made them into pendants.  Wire baskets, mason jar chicken feeders, metal pails, and more.  They were so cool and would have looked awesome in my kitchen window.
This is how my hubby spent the day:  searching for every toy booth to add to his police car collection.  He fared much better than me!
Finally, I scored on dining chairs!  These chairs weren't exactly what I thought I was looking for, but when I saw them, I knew.  They were also already re-upholstered in a fabric that would look pretty good in our house.  But I still needed two more....
This was a prefect example of taking old and new materials, and making a totally new object.  It was set up as a fountain, but I'm sure you could set it up to be a working sink. 
These metal filigree wall hangings were pretty popular too.
What a great mix!
I was getting a little worried about finding these because it wasn't until the very end of the day that we came across them.  But we finally found our two end chairs.  And they aren't an identical pair (one is a bit larger than the other) which makes it perfect for his and hers chairs! :)
My other great find of the day was this gorg cameo broach.  It's hard to tell in the photo, but it's actually a reverse cameo.  Love it!

I can't wait until Spring to go again.  I think I've convinced my brother to come along this time and take a look.  But if you love old junk, old junk made into new junk, or new junk made to look old, then this is definitely the place you need to check out.

O, and our new dining chairs look awesome!  Much better than our former chairs.  :)



So very happy!  :)
Hope you felt the love too!
ta-ta for now,

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what did you think? I'd love to know!

Related Posts with Thumbnails