Monday, October 1, 2012

Re{made}

This past month has been a roller coaster of emotions.  I've been going through my Mom's things and pictures and have been truly amazed at how quickly time flies.  Twenty-eight years seems like so long, especially to someone who is 5, 10, or even 15 years old.  Heck, even 20.  But it's not, in the grand scheme of things.  Some things seem like yesterday and others, lifetimes ago.  What I'm getting at (because I have a tendency to blab on, ha ha) is that life is short and I'm ready to make things happen, rather than wait for them to happen. 

When I created Just Crafty, it was done with the cards and invites I had been designing in mind.  I felt like they were a craft; that I was crafty.  Plus, the words formed my initials, or vice versa, ha ha.  But I feel like there is a certain connotation with those words that put me in a corner--not as professional as I'd like to come off.  Especially with the direction I'd like to take my business.  After completing my graphic design degree, I hope to do more with that with regards to graphics, logos, branding, that sort of thing, in addition to continuing my wedding invitation collection and doing custom stationary projects for clients.  But I also want to venture back into the interior design world.  You've seen my little projects I've done on my own home, but I want to do more for you.  :)

I've never been the type of person to flaunt myself.  And I never wanted my business to be my name.  Some might say that's a confidence issue, but I disagree.  It's just not me.  I am not just my name; I am a multitude of things.  And my style, influences, and tastes seem to always change.  I am my own worst client, ha ha!  But one thing is constant:  I love to make things.  And that is the basis for my business' new identity.

I think I'll always be crafty, but I'm also a lot of other things, so the transition was necessary.  And I hope it's the new door opened for me after having to close so many this year.

So without further ado, introducing:



I'm going to make the transition slowly, but you'll start to see this name here in my blog, on Facebook, on my website and on Pinterest as well--which if you're not, you should definitely be following me!  To all of my faithful Just Crafty followers, thank you so very much for your support these past couple of years.  I hope that you will continue to enjoy what is to come with Be Made Designs.  I have so many ideas and look forward to the future.

And speaking of ideas, I also have a new project to show off!  Woo hoo!!  It's been too long and felt good to get back into the swing of things, sorta.  It's a small one, but still a good one.  :)

I have had my eye on this guy for some time:
"Beurre" Butter Dish Courtesy Williams-Sonoma
My functional/rational side can't justify the expense though.  But I have a definite need for a butter dish, so I decided to create my own. 

Really, the main reason I wanted that particular dish was for the "BEURRE" on the top.  But why couldn't I add that myself to a plain-jane $3 butter dish?  Well, I could, but the issue with those is the lid design isn't conducive to lifting easily, meaning, I had a hard time grabbing the slippery glass top, and in one such instance, it fell and broke.  But, why couldn't I add a "grabber" of some sort?  So, I decided I would.  :)

So here we are, $3 plain-jane glass butter dish and a $2 baby glass knob.


I knew I wanted to use my etching paste to write on the glass so I printed the word "beurre" in a size that fit the space and a font that lent a little to a vintage feel.


I cut out each word then taped it to the inside of the lid.


The painting part was a little tricky.  The glass is thicker than it appears, which played tricks on my eyes, but I managed to get it decently traced/painted.  :)  Not too shabby...



With both sides painted, I let it sit for the specified time on the bottle.  But now I had the knob to contend with. 



Obviously I had to get the bolt off, so with a sweet bat of my eyes, I got my hubby to saw it off with his Dremel.  Not that I couldn't do it, I just like it when he helps me.  :)  We're a team, through and through.  :)

So, knob bolt sawed off.  Now it was time to attach.  I washed the etching paste off the lid then got out my trusty E6000 glue--which I only recently discovered and am now in love with--and, well, attached. 


Lookin' good...


Now, to put it to use...

 
 
I really like it!  It turned out just how it was in my head and is so much more functional--to me, at least! 
So, whadya think?



Hope you were a little inspired!
And keep watch for more from Be Made Designs!  Lots to come I hope, including an update on our Living Room and a new room in {My Old House}!  Woo hoo!

ttfn,

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what did you think? I'd love to know!

Related Posts with Thumbnails